Jeremy D taught at HFG this past Thursday, and he spoke about anxiety, referencing Matthew 6:25-34. Oh, how we're so prone to worrying, being anxious, and having many things that weigh on our minds. The cares of life can easily weigh us down. Here, Jesus speaks of the simple basics of life - what you eat, drink, and wear. We worry about these things, how we're going to take care of them, how we're going to meet these needs. The response is simple - verse 33: "seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Seek after the things of God - seek after the glory of God - and He will meet all your needs; He'll be the one to provide.
Here's a question that Jeremy asked that stuck out to me: When I wake up in the morning, am I thinking of the kingdom of God and His righteousness? As I thought about it, I can answer that question with a definite "no". What enters my mind are thoughts of the upcoming days events, what I have to do at work, what I'm going to eat for lunch, what's going on in the evening, what's coming up on the weekend, etc. Before the days events have even happened, why am I already worrying about them? My focus needs to be on the glory of God - what He's going to do, how He's going to work, and trusting that He's going to use me on that day for His purposes.
Verse 34: "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." I'm sure I've read this verse hundreds of times, but I think I've always looked at this verse in a negative light. Don't worry about tomorrow's problems; you'll have enough problems as it is today. Sure, it does say that, but we can forget about the God who is Lord over all of these problems. God has enough grace for the concerns of today and the concerns of the future; in fact He has more than enough grace for today, tomorrow, and then some. So even when things aren't going the way that you would anticipate, trust in God's plan, His Provision, and His care for you.
Sunday, June 22, 2008
What's going on today?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment