Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Let's Talk

It's been a couple weeks since I've been in Sunday School, so I came back last Sunday and our topic continues to be godly marriage. This week's topic was learning godly communication. Phil taught on the purpose, process, and practice of godly communication. The purpose of godly communication is to avoid sin, and Phil referenced Adam and Eve and the sin in the garden. The process of godly communication first starts in the heart. It is also talking and maybe more importantly listening. And we also realize that communication is more than words. It involves the choice of words, the tone of voice, and non-verbal cues. Some practical application of godly communication is being honest and dealing with anger both properly and promptly. Phil references Ephesians 4:25-27.

One point of application that God put upon my heart was this: be intent about speaking about spiritual things. This is definitely important in the context of marriage, but it is just as important in everyday life. Talking about work, school, entertainment, activities, friends, and family or making small talk should not drown out conversation centered on the spiritual. There's nothing wrong with speaking about other things, but it should be balanced with talking about God, how He is working, what He's been teaching, what He's been challenging you with, etc. I'm sure this is something that I'll be working on should I, God-willing, get married one day. But this is one thing that I can definitely work on today.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online