We wrapped up Colossians this past Thursday at HFG, and as we read the last part of chapter 4 it looks like a bunch of personal greetings from Paul to various people. As we briefly went through each of them, we were able to see how each of them had significance. When we looked at Mark in verse 10, Angelo referred to God as the God of second chances. In Acts 15:36-41, Paul is getting ready to go on his second missionary journey. Barnabas wanted to take Mark, but Paul didn't want to take him because he deserted him in the past. The disagreement went so far that Paul and Barnabas decided to part ways - Paul going with Silas, and Barnabas going with Mark. Sounds pretty bad, huh? However, towards the end of his life, as Paul was writing 2 Timothy, he says this in 4:11: "Pick up Mark and bring him with you, for he is useful to me for service." Even after Mark deserted him in the past, in time, Paul found him to be useful for service. He even went on to pen the gospel of Mark. God used him despite his failings. David, Peter, Mark - the bible speaks of numerous people who have fallen, stumbled, and sinned, yet God restored them and made them fit for service. Praise God that He did that back then and He continues to do that with His children today. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."(1 John 1:9) And He not only forgives and cleanses us, He also uses us for His kingdom. He is the God of second chances... and third chances... and fourth chances... and so on.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 Comment:
Brother,
This encourages me. I feel like I fail so miserably at times and though I know it doctrinally, I sometimes think in a "works based" living or sanctification. I must behave as if I am forgiven completely by God and press on by His grace. He does give us second chances.
Angelo
Angelo
Post a Comment