I know I'm going a bit out of order. I just wrote about what I learned from this past Thursday's HFG. I'm gonna go a little further back to the Sunday before and share about what Phil taught in Sunday School. For the next several weeks, Phil will be teaching through a series on marriage. Before I go on, I have to say that I've heard many a series on relationships, dating, marriage, etc; I've learned a lot from them and have enjoyed them, and I still am looking forward to this series. Not that I am any closer to marriage than I was in years past; I'm still in the same place that I've always been at: patiently waiting on God to bring that perfect fit - that helper suitable - to me and continuing to serve Him where He has me.
This is from Phil's first message a couple of weeks ago: The Foundation of a Godly Fulfilling Marriage. I'm not going to rehash Phil's entire message - for that, you can buy the CD. I just wanted to touch on the major points and comment on some of them.
God's design for marriage. First of all, there are some general fallacies about marriage. One is that marriage is for self-fulfillment and another is that marriage makes you complete. Another one is that marriage is designed by man. Secondly, there are great benefits of marriage. There's companionship and God bringing a husband and a wife together that complement each other. Thirdly there is the grand design of marriage. It's a picture of Christ and the church - a reflection of Christ's love for His bride. Marriage isn't to be centered on the husband, wife, or children; it's to be centered on God. Here's one thought that stuck out to me: The same love that Christ has for the church - God intends to create that same kind of love in me for my wife.
Gee, I could write so much more, but this is getting long as it is. I'll be brief in summarizing the rest. We must have the right perspective of our relationship to God through Christ. We are new creatures, forgiven, set free, and accepted by God. We have hope, access to God, and the Spirit dwelling in us.
Lastly, we must understand our complementary roles as husband and wife. These are found in Genesis 1 and 2. First of all, man and woman are equal. They were both equally created in God's image. They both uniquely and specifically reflect God. Secondly, man and woman are also diverse; this is directed towards the roles of men and women. Man and woman are both equal, but they have different roles. Man is the head - he is the leader, provider, and protector. Woman is the helper - more than this, she is a helper suitable. She is a helper in that she comes to his aid, helps him lead, supports, and encourages. She is suitable in that she is complementary, his counterpart, and she fits him perfectly. This point really sticks out to me: God created us with specific deficiencies and weaknesses so that our strengths would complement each other. God's design is incredible!
I could have written so much more, but like I said, if you want more, buy the CD... and check out Sunday School for the next couple of weeks.
This is from Phil's first message a couple of weeks ago: The Foundation of a Godly Fulfilling Marriage. I'm not going to rehash Phil's entire message - for that, you can buy the CD. I just wanted to touch on the major points and comment on some of them.
God's design for marriage. First of all, there are some general fallacies about marriage. One is that marriage is for self-fulfillment and another is that marriage makes you complete. Another one is that marriage is designed by man. Secondly, there are great benefits of marriage. There's companionship and God bringing a husband and a wife together that complement each other. Thirdly there is the grand design of marriage. It's a picture of Christ and the church - a reflection of Christ's love for His bride. Marriage isn't to be centered on the husband, wife, or children; it's to be centered on God. Here's one thought that stuck out to me: The same love that Christ has for the church - God intends to create that same kind of love in me for my wife.
Gee, I could write so much more, but this is getting long as it is. I'll be brief in summarizing the rest. We must have the right perspective of our relationship to God through Christ. We are new creatures, forgiven, set free, and accepted by God. We have hope, access to God, and the Spirit dwelling in us.
Lastly, we must understand our complementary roles as husband and wife. These are found in Genesis 1 and 2. First of all, man and woman are equal. They were both equally created in God's image. They both uniquely and specifically reflect God. Secondly, man and woman are also diverse; this is directed towards the roles of men and women. Man and woman are both equal, but they have different roles. Man is the head - he is the leader, provider, and protector. Woman is the helper - more than this, she is a helper suitable. She is a helper in that she comes to his aid, helps him lead, supports, and encourages. She is suitable in that she is complementary, his counterpart, and she fits him perfectly. This point really sticks out to me: God created us with specific deficiencies and weaknesses so that our strengths would complement each other. God's design is incredible!
I could have written so much more, but like I said, if you want more, buy the CD... and check out Sunday School for the next couple of weeks.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment